New Beginnings

And so I have finally submitted the final assessment item for the final unit of study in my Bachelor of Vocational Education & Training with the University of Southern Queensland. I need a mark higher than 6/40 to pass, so I guess I can consider myself finished that degree.

The BVET I have just completed was delivered completely online, usually very well, but sometimes rather atrociously. I want to know more about online delivery. I would like to get the Interfaith College up and running, but it’s a lot of work and I’m not sure I’m up to the task or if there’s a market out there. I also need to put a lot more time into the Interfaith Church which I founded a couple of years ago. I’m very passionate about it but it sometimes seems, again, the market may not be there.

To improve my skills, and because I don’t feel I’ve finished learning, I’ve enrolled in more courses of study. It’s great to be able to enrol in things I want to learn rather than the next unit in a course of study where I am learning towards a piece of paper which states I can do what I have been doing for many years already.

Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: The 1st Step in Entrepreneurship is offered through Coursera by the University of Maryland. Dr. James V. Green commenced the course on 20 May 2013 and I am hoping it will give me a greater insight into many aspects of business and creativity that could benefit the Church.

First-Year Composition 2.0 is also offered through Coursera, this time by the Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Karen Head began the course on 27 May 2013 and I am hoping it will help me develop greater communication skills that will benefit the Church and my practice as an educator.

Teaching Adult Learners with Debra Lunt and Writing for the Web with Frankie Madden are both offered through Open2Study. Both commenced on 27 May 2013, though I didn’t find them until late in that week. I am hoping to improve my teaching skills and better develop my websites (for the Church & College) as well as improve how I connect with my online audience via my Church and Educational blogs and through my Church newsletter.

All of these courses are offered exclusively online and completely free. In fact, there are many free online courses now available through a range of providers waiting for you to enrol and increase your own skills. No harm, no foul if you don’t get through, but a nice certificate if you do.

While they may not be accredited, they will at least demonstrate ability and an interest in your own personal growth which may help advance your career and will definitely add to your current knowledge on whatever interests you.

3 thoughts on “New Beginnings

1. Hi Peter,

I would like to congratulate you on the completion of your degree, I am not far behind you, just finishing my final assessment now and a small exam on Tuesday. I have enjoyed working with you over the past three years in this degree.
    Chat soon
    Scottie

2. Pingback: Completion of BVET

3. Thanks Scott, and back at you. I’m sure you are enjoying the same sense of relief I am feeling (or will do in the next few days).

Such a pity that work requires so much attention at the moment. If it wasn’t for the proposed EBA, under-staffing and various other employment related issues I expect we’d be celebrating in a much different manner.